Saturday, March 15, 2008

In the closet

Fifteen days of construction are past. All the plumbing and electrical rough-in is complete, and they're almost done hanging drywall (but just hanging; they haven't started all the mudding and sanding).

My challenge this week has been in trying to select a closet system. I've looked at four options, and I've narrowed it down to two, I think.


The question is whether to go with a more built-in, furniture look (from Closets by Design):


or a more modular look that's also more flexible (from The Container Store):


The pictures are just samples, of course. They are very close in price. The Closets by Design is Melamine on particle board, kind of like Formica, and it feels and looks kind of cheap and fake. The elfa closet from The Container Store is natural wood laminate on top of what the saleswoman described as a "honeycomb-like" manufactured structure. Although the structure isn't real, the feel is more solid because it's real wood. Both come with a lifetime warranty.

Opinions, anyone? Help me get out of the closet and on with my life!