Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Mezuzah

I have a home alarm system, and the remodel means moving a few things around. Motion detectors were on walls that no longer exist, or that would detect motion inside the closet.

In the past I've worked with one alarm company, but they've been just awful about responding to my phone calls, so I decided to look into a new alarm company. I Googled, and found a company. I called them last Friday, and I talked to the owner. We made an appointment for someone to come over this afternoon and check things out.

A guy named Sam showed up as scheduled. The first thing I noticed about him was that he was wearing a Star of David on a chain around his neck. This is Seattle, not New York, so while Jewish people are not thought of as a different species, we're still something of a rarity.

Anyway, he spent an hour with me looking over everything and figuring everything out. At the end he said he'd tell the owner to give me a good deal, and I said, thanks. Then he said, "You're Jewish, right?" I said, "Yes." I'm pretty sure the only reason he'd figure that out is from the Mezuzah on my door. (It certainly isn't from my last name.) He said that the owner is Jewish and he likes to give a break to Jewish customers. He asked me where I go to synagogue. I told him I'm a lapsed Jew. He said he is, too, but he occasionally goes to an orthodox synagogue.

I'm not sure how ethical it is to give favored pricing on the basis of religion, but I'm not unsure enough to reject it. I guess it pays to post a Mezuzah on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

No comments: