Sunday, February 17, 2008

Lighting Redux

So I finally picked my light fixture of choice.

I settled on Number 5. It was a close call over Number 4, which was actually the audience favorite. I like them both a lot. In fact, I like all of the fixtures I was considering.

However, it turns out that I forgot to take one detail into account. There is a soffit, if that's what it's called, that comes down about eight inches from the ceiling and covers the heating ducts. You can see it best in this photo:


And in this photo, you can see how the existing lighting fixture, above the mirror in my ugly, soon-to-be-demolished bathroom, would extend up just a little higher than the bottom of the soffit.


And with the my fixture of choice, or, for that matter, any of the other fixtures, it would be much worse.

So I've decided to go with two sconces on either side of the vanity mirror. And as it turns out, there is a sconce version of Number 4:


I actually like this better than the above-the-mirror version. I like the way the two prongs extend both above and below the fixture.

So the actual starting date has been pushed back until this coming Thursday, the 21st. I'm excited, but also realize that it's going to be a noisy, dusty, inconvenient few months until this is done. The contract states 75 days, which puts completion into the first week of May. I am sleeping on the floor in my living room, and I can't wait until I have my bedroom back.

No comments: